Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"anti-choice"

I was reading a news article earlier about the Susan G. Koman foundation stopping the grant money it had been giving to Planned Parenthood to assist in cancer screening funding. The Koman foundation states it is due to the fact that Planned Parenthood is under federal investigation for alleged misuse of funding and the Koman foundation has rules that state grant money cannot be given to an organization that is under government investigation. In the event the organization is found innocent, grant money may be administered again. People on the other side of the issue are saying it is a politically fueled move pushed by the Pro-Life groups and the Koman foundation is bending under the pressure. (I am not discussing this issue at this time, just giving background.)

While I was reading this article, I saw a link to another article. The author of the second article was discussing her opinion of the matter. She very much felt the Koman foundation was bending to the will of the "anti-choice" groups. Many things this author wrote rubbed me the wrong way (even if you take out the entire Koman vs. PP issue,) however the "anti-choice" label made me a little livid.

This author is calling Pro-Life "anti-choice." (And I'd be willing to bet she isn't the only one.)

I am not "anti-choice."

Let me back up a little. Years ago, when I was a naive teenager, I was often heard spouting the following dribble in regards to the abortion discussion, "I don't personally believe abortion is the right thing to do, but a woman should have the right to choose what happens to her body, so I guess I am 'pro-choice.'" As I have gotten more of the world on me and matured spiritually and emotionally, my views have changed.

I believe abortion is murder.

Period.

However, my now "Pro-Life" stance does not mean that I am anti-choice.

I still very much believe that a woman should have the right to do as she pleases with her body. If she wants to eat nothing but fast-food and Twinkies, she has the right to choose to. If she wants to shave her head bald and fill her body with piercings and tattoos, by all means, choose to do so. If she wants to sell her body for sex, her choice. If she even wants to have a sex change and become a man--hey, it is her body. I may not agree with all her choices, but it is her choice and it is between her and God to sort out.

BUT, (<---this is a big but) I do not believe she has the right to choose to have an abortion. That "fetus" may be growing in her womb, but when she chooses to abort "it" she is making a choice on another person's body. Don't agree it's a body? Look at the following picture of a baby at the beginning of the 6th week (most women usually discover they are pregnant about 6 weeks after conceiving.)

I see a head, eyes, arms, a torso and legs. Very similar to my own body, no?

It is because I recognize that "fetus" is not a thing, but a person, with a life and the right to live, that I find myself strongly standing in my beliefs.

A woman has the right to choose to do whatever she wants with her body, but she does not have the right to murder the baby inside her womb anymore than I have the right to murder my own baby whom I just tucked in for the night.

Yes, I am Pro-Life. But do not confuse yourself, I am not "anti-choice." 


No comments:

Post a Comment