Monday, January 23, 2012

a Love that humbles

Earlier I was thinking on love and the effect of its power. Now, I am not talking about the "happily-never-after" fairy-tale junk I used to fill my head and heart with as a little girl, but real, honest love; the kind of love that is written about in 1 Corinthians 13. This love is incredibly powerful.

Today, I was thinking about how a genuine love can be so humbling. When people are filled with a genuine love for other people, they are able to lower themselves. Until today, I believed that when you genuinely loved someone, it gave you the strength to humble yourself to that person. Today, I realized it doesn't give you the strength to do it, it takes away the option to not.

This Love of which I speak does not give strength, it takes away selfishness and pride. The further in Love one is, the more impossible it is to refuse humility. This is the Love that enables a mother to spend her days changing diapers and washing dishes with a song in her heart. This is the Love that enables a husband to see beauty in his wife when her hair has fallen out from chemo. This is the Love that enabled a God-man to crawl upon the cross and give His life for a diseased race of sinners, that we may know Him and His Love personally.

This is a Love that humbles.

For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment